Saint Bernard Roman Catholic Parish Saint Bernard Roman Catholic Parish
  Home
  Pastor's Page
  FAQs
  Our History
  Sacraments
  Schools
  Parish Registration
  Contact Information
  Councils
  Ministry Schedules
  Donations
  Advertisers
 
Our History
 

The Saint Bernard Parish was established in September 1957 under the same titular Patron as the adjacent local school.  Father Gauthier was appointed the First Parish Priest in 1957 and in 1958 oversaw the blessing of the ground and the start of construction of the present Church which has a seating capacity for approximately 250 people.  The first Mass was celebrated in the main Church in March 1959.

Since that time, a total of eleven priests have served in the Parish with the most recent one, Father Lukose Kochupurackal, who was assigned in August 2011.  A full listing of the Parish Priests is included at the end of this document.

Over the years a number of significant renovations have taken place.  In 1979, roof renovations of $11,000.were completed. In 1991/92, at a cost of $32,000., new interior lighting was installed, a new metal roof was placed on the church steeple and repairs were made to the outside walls.   In 2001/02, at a cost of $200,000., a new front entrance and steps were constructed, an elevator installed, a handicap washroom constructed and a new furnace installed.  An air conditioner was installed in 2004.

 

  Saint Bernard Roman Catholic Church

In 2007, in recognition of the 50th Anniversary of the Parish, numerous Parishioners donated funds to have stained glass installed in the church windows.  As well, a fund was established with the objectives to expand the existing sanctuary and construct a new sacristy.  The resulting new basement would be used for meeting rooms and a new kitchen.

The Parish has three elementary schools (St. Bernard, St Thomas More and St. Marguerite d’Youville) within the boundaries.  Each year, approximately 150 Grade 2 students have received their sacraments in the Post Easter period.  

The Parish also has within the boundaries the St. Bernard Cemetery, which was know as St. Thomas d’Aquin cemetery prior to 1963.  

Over the years the Parish has had several visits by various Archbishops of Ottawa.  In 2007, Archbishop Gervais preside at the 50th Anniversary Eucharistic Celebration.  In 2008, the Parish was pleased to welcome the current Ottawa Archbishop, Terrance Prendergast on his first visit to the Parish.

Under the leadership of Father Lukose Kochupurackal, CMF, the parishioners will continue to pray together that the Lord will bless the Parish in its responsibility to spread the Good News of God’s Kingdom.

The Parish acknowledges and thanks the following priests who have served the faithful at St. Bernard Parish:

1957 – 1966   Rev. Fr. Marcel Gauthier
1966 – 1969   Rev. Fr. J. Émile Latendresse
1969 – 1980   Chanoine Aurèle Poirier
1980 – 1985   Rev. Fr. P. Paul Desrochers
1985 – 1986   Rev. Fr. Gilles Proulx
1986 – 1989   Rev. Fr. Michael Mullins
1989 – 1990   Rev. Fr. William Penny
1990 – 1999   Rev. Fr. Jacques Pilon, c.s.v
1999 - 2009   Rev. Fr. M.M. Virgil Amirthakumar
2009 - 2011 � Rev. Fr. John Whyte
2011 - Present Rev. Fr. Lukose Kochupurackal, CMF

 
 
 
Website maintained by: REJI ALEX